Saturday 7 July 2018

Boot Time Test

When I turned on my Moto Z2 Play today to see if it had yet pulled itself up out of 7.1.1. (nope - it seems that you have to live in Brazil for that!) I noticed how apparently slowly it booted, with lots of Lenovo/Moto splash-screens going on etc. But, by chance, I also had a Nokia 8 doing the same boot and actually, I noted that the boot times - even through all this Lenovorola stuff, once actually finished doing everything, were not really different. So, I thought I'd do a test with a few phones I had to hand.

So the test was cold start to everything loaded, widgets populated and pending notifications in the shade. This is not an exact science, as for one, I can't press all the power buttons at exactly the same time! But also YMMV because of what widgets you have and how long they take to load. But to be fair here, all of these phones have pretty much the same apps installed and the same widgets.

Nokia 8: 2 minutes 15 seconds
Moto Z2 Play: 2 minutes 25 seconds
Razer Phone: 2 minutes 40 seconds
Nokia 7 Plus: 3 minutes

The interesting thing for me was that the Moto was clearly doing some of the stuff in the background while the splash-screen were going on whilst others were allowing the user to at least see the homescreens and, after a fashion, slowly start to interact with the phone.

The only phone here that's not SIM Free is the Razer, and that '3' splash-screen, I guess adds a few seconds (I was expecting faster from the Vanilla 8GB RAM SD835 device actually). Before you cry out "my phone boots much faster than that" be aware that this is like-for-like, my data, my apps, my widgets, my notifications - and I have quite a lot of them. My bare-bones Moto Z (which I use as a projector only so minimal apps etc.) boots much quicker, for example.

Anyway, I just thought it was quite interesting. Maybe you can run a like-for-like test on some of your phones :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

TCL 50 Pro NxtPaper

TCL are doing some amazing stuff lately with their NxtPaper technology and this phone presents more of that to join previous years' phon...