Tuesday 8 September 2020

I'm Thinking of Ending Things

This is now available on NetflixUK as I write. I watched it last night and had been looking forward to it. I think I should have read the book! I was too thick to work out what on earth was going on through most of it but thankfully there were people reviewing on IMDb who were offering analysis aiding understanding.

Surreal and mind-boggling, now understanding what was going on, I realise that I was kind of picking up on some of it, but you really need an open mind and maybe think on another level to get it, cold. At least, for me that was true. Which I didn't, enough, obviously!

I was confused enough by Charlie Kaufman's Being John Malkovich and to a lesser extent Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I'm now looking to tackle Anomalisa! At least it is interesting and different, not boring spoon-fed mindless film junk we're so often served.

David Thewlis, Jesse Plemons, Jessie Buckley and Toni Collette were excellent throughout, can't take that away from the experience, but yes, just wear a Salvador Dali hat whilst watching and try to think under the skin, where most things might not quite be what they seem!

IMDb: Full of misgivings, a young woman travels with her new boyfriend to his parents' secluded farm. Upon arriving, she comes to question everything she thought she knew about him, and herself. Based on the book by Iain Reid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Reindeer (2024)

Short 6-part (see update below) drama (half hour each) on Netflix about stalking, the true story of comedian Richard Gadd and what happened ...