Sunday 14 October 2018

Luvan 2 Litre Stainless Steel Thermos/Coffee Pot

Double Walled Vacuum Flask
I was thinking about the number of times that in a routine day I boil the kettle. I drink a lot of coffee. So I was trying to work out how long it would take me in saved electricity to match the £20 outlay on this large thermos!


Before my brain exploded on that, I bought it anyway and now I can fill it up from the kettle in the morning and it becomes my hot water supply for the duration, until lunchtime.

There's not much to say about it really except that it feels fairly sturdy even if the 'top' and lid are clearly plastic. The lid has a two-axis pivot so that it can be taken out of the way for filling but just opened a little for pouring. The lid 'stopper' seems to seal sturdily and well.

The hot water retention is pretty good (not tried the cold yet) and certainly lasts all day staying hot enough to make a drink. As the day gets longer it does of course drop off, but I left some in from lunchtime then overnight one day and in the morning it was still hot enough for washing up water. They claim 24 hours!

There doesn't appear to be any jaded-taste thing even after some hours. Don't know if the FDA approved 18/10 food-grade steel thing helps, but worth noting, I guess! I suppose you could make the coffee first and put it in if you were picnicking etc. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do, given that it's called a Coffee Pot!

Dishwasher safe, no glass involved, so no chance of breaking, light and portable (when empty, obviously!), it seems that the trick is the gap between the walls acting as insulation. I'm sure many of you physics bods can explain that more fully, but for me, it seems to work well, keep the water hot enough for drinks and saves electricity not repeatedly boiling the kettle.

I'm sure that there are many other options out there of similar function (and probably cheaper), but I focused on this one partly because it was a nice big 2L matching a family-sized kettle and it reviewed quite well at Amazon. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cold Meat (2023)

This 2023 from French writer/director Sébastien Drouin starts out as we join David leaving home, getting on the road to go somewhere in his ...