I've now finished watching this eight part HBO MAX TV series. If you come cold into this show without any previous knowledge of the 'Lantern' comics or haven't seen the 2011 'Green Lantern' film, then lots of it could seem a little bit confusing. However, I thought that the tale they told in this season was fairly straightforward.
Rushville is a small town in Nebraska and the strange goings on in this seemingly sleepy hamlet is something that Kyle and, on his first official outing, John have to investigate. Early on it's clear that there is a extraterrestrial entity involved - and a powerful one at that - so caution is needed!
I liked all the lead characters and the acting was pretty decent from everyone. Kyle Chandler is playing the Ryan Reynolds character and all those dysfunctional 'buddy cop' scenes with his protégé, John Stewart, played by Brit, Aaron Pierre was very entertaining. Kerry, the town Sheriff played by Kelly Macdonald is the other main player here and she is also brilliant! I personally find it amusing when there's a scene, just between two Brits when both of them are speaking in their American accents!
I didn't mind that there wasn't much all-out superhero smash-and-crash action and that the many dialogue-heavy scenes didn't contain too much banal exposition. The few flashback episodes were well done, providing good context for the motivation of the main protagonists and their various arcs all felt well-placed in the overall plot. It reminded me of the 'Watchmen' TV series that came out in 2019 which I also really enjoyed! I'm looking forward to Season 2 already.

No comments:
Post a Comment