Sunday, 9 August 2026

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8: Samsung Nailed It! - A Guest Review by AJ Santos

Where to start? It’s my first Fold. I always had my doubts about the durability of these devices. Years ago in John Lewis, I saw one of those mechanical display units opening and closing a Fold several times a minute, and the top layer of the inner screen was peeling off. “I'll never buy one of those!” I thought to myself. Fast forward to the present and here I am with one, thanks to generous workplace discounts - but more importantly, thanks to the form factor and what it represents.

For a long time, I always had my eyes on top-tier flagship mobile phones. From the old days of the Siemens SX1 through to the Nokia N95, Communicator, Lumia 1020, Oppo’s Find X Pro and Samsung's S23 Ultra. That is where it stopped. It took me some time to figure out what I actually want out of a mobile phone. It doesn’t have to be top-of-the-range with the highest specs across the board - just the ones that matter to me, which happens to save some money in the process. Right? Well, yes and no - for reasons we’ve all discussed in our Phones Show Chat MeWe Group.

The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8 has completely changed my day-to-day experience with a smartphone. Instead of feeling like a niche tech experiment requiring compromises on basic usability, living with this device feels remarkably natural. By moving to a passport-like shape, Samsung has built a phone that seamlessly adapts to the rhythms of daily life - from quick, single-handed checks during a morning routine, to productivity sessions at work, to relaxing on the sofa at home in the evening as a great media assistant.

When out running errands, grabbing a coffee or commuting, I rarely want to open the main inner display. This is where the Fold8's closed shape makes its biggest daily impact, and I am surprised by how much I use it - far more than I thought I would. Because the cover screen is wider and shorter than past models, my small hands can easily span the entire keyboard. I can reply to a quick message, deal with an urgent work email or control music on the go with great balance and without fear of dropping the phone.

It slips into a pair of jeans or a light jacket pocket without dragging clothes down or feeling like a brick. It feels just like carrying a standard, slightly thicker phone - especially with a case on. If I stop for breakfast or sit on a train, I can set the phone down on a table folded into a 'tent' position so it acts as its own kickstand, making it effortless to watch a video or catch up on the news hands-free. And trust me, that 5.5" screen is not as small as it looks. Video content is perfectly watchable - no complaints whatsoever. It’s a genuine head-turner, too; I've been asked about the phone on the train and in coffee shops more than once.

At work, the moment I sit down to focus, popping the Fold8 open transforms how I handle daily tasks. Opening the screen gives a broad canvas that makes running two apps at once feel truly practical. I can have a reference spreadsheet open on the left while drafting a message on the right, or keep a live map open next to an itinerary without constantly switching between apps. The wide main screen feels closer to a small digital book or pocket notebook than a phone. Flowing through long PDFs, reading articles or using the Kindle app feels far less tiring on the eyes compared to endless vertical scrolling on a standard smartphone. Using Auto Trader on the inner screen is actually better than on a laptop, I dare say!

The inner screen layout is flat enough that the central crease disappears from view during direct light-mode reading. However, because the hinge snaps open with real purpose, you can’t prop the phone half-open like a mini laptop on a desk - it prefers to be fully open or fully shut. When the workday ends, that inner screen becomes a dedicated personal entertainment hub. Opening YouTube or streaming apps gives a significantly larger picture than any traditional smartphone. Classic content, podcasts and video clips fill out the display nicely. Holding the open phone vertically turns app feeds into an immersive experience. Photos pop, text is crisp, and far more information fits on the screen at once.

Because the speakers line up on the sides when the phone is held vertically, rotating the open screen for landscape videos shifts both speakers to one side. For movie nights or travelling on a train or plane, I pair it with Sammy’s Pro4 earbuds anyway - which is still the most immersive way to watch, regardless of whether the phone's physical speakers are in the 'right place' or not. When travelling, I'm not wanting to disturb people around me anyway, so earbuds are my default choice. At home, any decent Bluetooth device will always give a better sound experience than smartphone speakers, which for me are strictly for hands-free calls and the occasional podcast. I did try using the built-in speakers to watch content and, unless you are actively listening for it, you won’t notice the sound coming from one side. The only exception is if the phone is held relatively close to your face - and who does that? It’s a bit like the crease: you'll only notice it if you go looking for it.

The camera system focuses on convenience rather than long-reach. The best camera feature isn't a complex setting - it’s unfolding the phone, using the cover screen as a live preview mirror, and taking high-quality family photos or group shots using the main rear cameras. You get vastly better clarity than any standard front-facing selfie camera can deliver. For candid selfies, pets, meals or weekend walks, pictures come out crisp and vibrant. If you like zooming in on distant subjects - like sitting at the back of a concert or shooting distant wildlife - you will notice that long-range shots rely on digital cropping rather than a dedicated telephoto lens. The cameras are not the absolute best on the market, but they are perfectly fine - they really are.

I don't have to constantly monitor the battery percentage throughout the day. Even with frequent use of the large internal display for reading and multi-app multitasking, the phone easily makes it from the morning alarm to bedtime with power to spare. If I've been heavily using the inner screen all afternoon, dropping the phone on a fast charger for 20 minutes while getting ready for dinner gives more than enough power to last through the night.

Microsoft tried with the Surface Duo but quickly abandoned the idea - goodness knows where we would be with a bit more commitment on their part. The original 2023 Google Pixel Fold was also a solid attempt, though it fell short due to the lack of a powerful chipset - and, like Microsoft, Google abandoned that specific form factor to return to the crowded space with the rest of the competition.

So, what do we currently have on the market as a credible alternative? With the Fold8, you are buying more than just a phone - you’re buying an experience. Someone rightly mentioned in our Phones Show Chat MeWe Group that no one is going to buy a £2,000 phone with limited specs in certain areas. That’s fair enough. But with discount codes and trade-in offers, the cost can be brought down by 50% - or even 60% if you’re savvy! That changes the scenario completely. Even more discounts will likely appear once Apple launches its own folding phone. At that price point, it becomes very competitive for what’s on offer.

Still, considering current hardware prices are through the roof, should a device at this price point have balanced speaker placement? Yes. Should it have better cameras? Yes. People often mention that the likes of Oppo, Motorola and Honor have superior camera setups. But try fitting that onto the Fold8 without adding a massive camera bump to the back of such a slim form factor! I suspect the lack of a dedicated telephoto lens and larger sensors comes down to physical space limitations and battery constraints more than anything else.

Come on, people - this is Samsung’s first real attempt at this specific form factor; give them some slack! The sequel - that difficult 'second album' - will be the real challenge where Samsung has to address those two shortfalls. Looking at the pre-order figures, though, consumers clearly don't mind that much right now! The 8th generation of Folds from Samsung has seen its most successful pre-sale run ever, largely thanks to the Fold8 selling out in South Korea and across most of the USA. Even with a hefty RRP, stock availability at some retailers is already being pushed back to September.

For what I paid and what I want to get out of it - including the overall experience - this feels like the right phone for me. Other phones may have better cameras, take outstanding photos, or offer superior speaker audio, but as a total package, I’m not sure any of them would suit me better. I think Samsung nailed it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold8: Samsung Nailed It! - A Guest Review by AJ Santos

Where to start? It’s my first Fold. I always had my doubts about the durability of these devices. Years ago in John Lewis, I saw one of thos...